As many NSW teachers prepare for their first day of teaching on Monday (I know many of you are half-way through your teaching year) I thought I’d ask the question, what is one thing you’d like to achieve professionally this year with your class/es?
I am a big believer in goal setting both personally and professionally because it provides a focus in which to keep you fresh, innovative, creative and on your toes throughout the year. There is no chance of getting stale. That is one of my biggest fears in teaching. The minute I start doing the same thing year after year and not questioning it or changing it then I know I shouldn’t be teaching anymore.
This year I’d like to do a couple of things:
- Experiment with social media as a performance medium;
- Sit on an interview panel;
- Host a TeachMeet;
- Provide TPL to my staff on blogging and PLN’s;
- Lead a team to put on the first musical at my school;
- Continue to find new and interesting ideas for my programs.
As with every goal it is a good idea to think about the steps you need to take to achieve it and a realistic time frame in which to achieve it.
Over to you. I would love to hear what you have planned this year with your student’s.