Below is a collection of ideas for the Individual Project (Performance) in the HSC or in any other assessment situation where the students need to perform a monologue.
I’ve divided them into female and male. Listing the author/director and character (in brackets).
I will continue to add to these suggestions as I get more ideas.
Remember: Use your own teacher discretion before suggesting any texts to students.
- Freedom – Written by Jonathan Franzen (various).
- Shantaram – Written by Gregory David Roberts (Shantaram).
- The Reader – Written by Bernhard Schlink (Michael Berg).
- The Diary of a Madman – Written by Nikolai Gogal (Poprishchin).
- The Life of Pi – Written by Yann Martel (Pi).
- Ready Player One – Written by Ernest Cline (Wade/Parzival).
- Jasper Jones – Written by Craig Silvey (Charlie Bucktin).
- The Lovely Bones – Written by Alice Sebold (Susie Salmon).
- Tomorrow, When The War Began Series – Written by John Marsden (Various. Ellie Linton).
- Stolen Time: The Inspiring Story of An Innocent Woman Condemned to Death – Written by Sonny Jacobs (Sonny)
- Dr Zhivago – Written by Boris Pasternak (Lara)
- Sophie’s Choice – Written by William Styron (Sophie)
- The Hunger Games – Written by Suzanne Collins (Katniss).
- Up in the Air – Directed by Jason Reitman (Ryan Bingham)
- There Will Be Blood – Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (Daniel Plainview)
- Whatever Works – Directed by Woody Allen (Boris Yelnikoff)
- How I Met Your Mother – Directed by Various (Barney Stinson)
- Pretty in Pink – Directed by John Hughes (Duckie).
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Directed by John Hughes (Ferris).
- Good Will Hunting – Directed by Gus Van Sant (Will/Sean).
- Jobs – Directed by Joshua Michael Stern (Steve Jobs)
- The Lovely Bones – Directed by Peter Jackson (Susie Salmon).
- The Blind Side – Directed by John Lee Hancock (Leigh Anne Tuohy)
- Joan of Arc – Directed by Christian Duguay (Joan).
- Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy – Directed by Peter Werner (Geralyn) suggested by Sue Torr.
- The Help – Directed by Tate Taylor (various).
- Fried Green Tomatoes – Directed by Fannie Flagg (various).
- Equus – Written by Peter Shaffer (Martin Dysart, Alan Strang)
- Eight – Written by Ella Hickson (Buttons, Miles Cooper). The link here is to all her plays.
- Borys the Rottweiler– Written by Christopher Johnson. The link here is to all his plays. Also try this.
- About a Goth – Written by Tom Wells. The link here is to all his plays.
- Angry – Written by Tim Minchin. This is the link to his performance.
- The Club – Written by David Williamson (Ted Parker).
- Accidental Death of an Anarchist – Written by Dario Fo (Bertozzo).
- The Revengers’ Comedies – Written by Alan Ayckbourn (various).
- Boy Girl Wall – Written by Matthew Ryan & Lucas Stibbard
- The Zoo Story – Written by Edward Albee (Jerry).
- Death and the Maiden – Written by Ariel Dorfman (Gerardo, Roberto)
- Ruben Guthrie – Written by Brendan Cowell (Ruben).
- Prince Charming’s Complaint – Written by Bruce Kane (Prince Charming).
- The Ugly One – Written by Marius Von Mayenburg (Lette)
- Twelfth Night – Written by William Shakespeare (Malvolio).
- Big Shot – Written by Jon Lachlan Stewart (various).
- The Romantic Drive – Written by Lano and Woodley.
- The Lieutenant of Inishmore – Written by Martin McDonagh (various).
- Alchemy of Desire/Dead-Man’s Blues – Written by Caridad Svich
- Miss Julie – Written by August Strindberg (Jean)
- Rosie in the Shadow of the Melrose from Take Ten II: More Ten Minute Plays
- The Magistrate – Written by Arthur Wing Pinero (Mr Poskett).
- One Man, Two Guvnors – Written by Richard Bean (Francis Henshall).
- Angela’s Kitchen – Written by Paul Capsis, Julian Meyrick (Paul).
- The Audience – Written by Peter Morgan (Various).
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead – Written by Tom Stoppard (various).
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time – Adapted by Simon Stephens. Based on the novel by Mark Haddon.
- Fires in the Mirror – Written by Anna Deavere Smith (Various).
- The Marvellous Boy – Written by Louis Nowra (Esther Tucker)
- Aunt Dan and Lemon – Written by Wallace Shawn (Aunt Dan, Lemon)
- Speaking in Tongues/Lantana – Written by Andrew Bovell (Various).
- Trammel the Cull – Written by Todd McGinnis (She).
- The Seagull – Written by Anton Chekhov (Nina).
- The Last Word Monologues – Written by Hugo Blick (Various).
- Baglady – Written by Frank McGuiness (Various). This link also lists his other plays.
- Talking With… – Written by Jane Martine (Various).
- Portia Coughlan – Written by Marina Carr (Portia).
- My Name is Rachel Corrie – Edited by Alan Rickman (Rachel).
- What’s the Matter with Mary Jane? – Written by Wendy Harmer (Sancia Robinson).
- Shirley Valentine – Written by Willy Russell (Shirley).
- The Wonderful World of Dissocia – Written by Anthony Neilson (Lisa).
- Talking Heads – Written by Alan Bennett (various).
- Parramatta Girls – Written by Alana Valentine (various).
- Shafana and Aunt Sarrinah – Written by Alana Valentine (Shafana, Aunt Sarrinah)
- Top Girls – Written by Caryl Churchill (Marlene).
- Baby with the Bathwater – Written by Christopher Durang (Miss Willoughby).
- Gary’s House – Written by Debra Oswald (Sue-Anne).
- Laughing Wild – Written by Christopher Durang (Woman).
- The Glass Menagerie – Written by Tennessee Williams (Amanda).
- The Last Days of Judas Iscariot – Written by Stephen Adly Guirgis (Saint Monica).
- The Care and Feeding of Baby Birds – Written by Ann Wuehler (Connie).
- Death and the Maiden – Written by Ariel Dorfman (Paulina).
- Dying Light – Written by Jason D. Martin (Jenny).
- Bombshells – Written by Joanna Murray Smith (various).
- Steel Magnolias – Written by Robert Harling (various).
- The Blonde, The Brunette and the Vengeful Redhead – Written by Robert Hewett (Rhonda).
- August: Osage County – Written by Tracey Letts (Karen Weston).
- Cassandra and Other Monologues for Girls – Written by Richard Baines
- The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life In the Universe – Written by Jane Wagner
- The Swan – Written by Elizabeth Egloff (Dora).
- The Cagebirds – Written by David Campton (The Wild One).
- Antigone – Written by Sophocles (Antigone).
- Miss Julie – Written by August Strindberg (Miss Julie).
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof – Written by Tennessee Williams (Maggie the Cat).
- Agnes of God – Written by John Pielmeier (Novice Nun).
- Holy Day – Written by Andrew Bovell (Elizabeth).
- Five Women Wearing the Same Dress – Written by Alan Ball (Georgeanne).
- Porn.Cake – Written by Vanessa Bates (Bella, Annie).
- Dags – Written by Debra Oswald (Gillian).
- City Sugar – Written by Stephen Poliakoff (Susan).
- Mrs Warren’s Profession – Written by George Bernard Shaw (Kitty, Vivie)
- The Audience – Written by Peter Morgan (Her Majesty, Margaret Thatcher).
- Fires in the Mirror – Written by Anna Deavere Smith (Various).
- Twilight: Los Angeles – Written and Performed by Anna Deavere Smith (Various).
- The Female of the Species – Written by Joanna Murray-Smith (Margot Mason).
- Fruit and Nuts – Written by Michael Lill (Available through australianplays.org)
Some great sites I’ve found for monologue ideas: